Department: Hotchkiss School Health Services
Reports to: Director of Health Services
Schedule: Full-time – Primarily overnight shift, 38 hours weekly when
school is in session, with additional on-call duty
Designation: Staff, Academic year, Benefit Eligible
The Registered Nurse identifies and treats health disorders among students and provides instruction in the maintenance of good health and disease prevention. The employee must evaluate the physical conditions of students and refer students to appropriate resources as needed. Decisions made by this employee require discretionary judgment and analysis. The work of this employee requires independent decision making.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide appropriate primary health care through professional clinical nursing, including assessment, care, referral and support,
- Render care in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act and follow guidelines of universal precautions in all care rendered,
- Administer medication to appropriate students, after obtaining parental permission and a doctor’s order for prescription medication and ensure proper documentation of same,
- Perform routine and emergency first aid,
- Maintain student health records,
- Perform assessment and treatment of health needs of student body and extended Hotchkiss community as presented to the health center,
- Make referrals to School resources and/or community agencies as necessary including counseling,
- Collect information for State reports.
- Regular contact with parents, faculty/administration requiring skill in diplomacy, tact and confidentiality.
- Remain reachable and available to report to the Health Center within 1 hour during scheduled on call hours. During on call hours the nurse must remain free from impairment due to alcohol or other performance impairing substances.
- Attend in-service sessions, department meetings, and staff meetings as needed or requested,
- Additional duties and responsibilities as needed and assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Valid, current license as a Registered Nurse license in the State of Connecticut,
- Current certification in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and AED from a recognized provider,
- Ability to maintain proper record keeping and care plan management using computer software,
- Knowledge of current health issues and nursing assessment skills as they relate to adolescent children, both physical and emotional,
- Comfort with communication and record keeping via computer,
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and maintain confidentiality,
- Superior organization skills,
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Bending, stooping, reaching, lifting, standing, carrying
- Occasional exposure to potentially infectious diseases and blood borne pathogens
- Regular contact with school teachers, counselors, psychologists and other specialists
- Duties are generally performed in the School Health Center
The essential functions and basic skills have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The Hotchkiss School does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or national or ancestral origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other School-administered programs, or in the administration of its hiring and employment practices.
The Hotchkiss School is a tobacco-free environment.
Please apply at the link below